Thursday, February 6, 2014

Taking Inventory


So far I've been sharing some things I've already been doing to reduce single use plastic and paper in my life. In order to figure out how to use even less, I have to ask myself What consumable plastics and paper do I use? I looked online and didn't find any kind of self assessment for single use consumption (although here's a good one to assess your overall carbon footprint). 

Here are my conclusions about what I use:
  • At home - ziploc bags, paper towel, toilet paper, wax paper, foil, plastic wrap
  • At work - printer paper, toilet paper, paper hand towels
  • Out and about - paper plates, napkins, toilet paper, paper hand towels, straws, disposable coffee and cold drink cups, and occasionally grocery bags and grocery produce bags
If you're in the mood to do a simple self assessment, try this: write the purchase date on items such as the box of ziploc bags, foil, plastic wrap, paper towel, etc. See how long it takes to go through it and then try to make it last longer, or even better, see how you can eliminate it. I have the same foil, plastic wrap and ziploc bags that I bought when I moved to my apartment in January 2011. As I run out of these items I'm going to try to come up with alternatives or just live without them. 

For the most part I think I have the tools I need and just need to be more organized so I don't get caught without them. For example, I have a lot of travel mugs and water bottles, but sometimes forget them at home - am going to move them to the car. Same goes for reusable grocery bags. The first things I'm going to actively work on to Do Better are paper towels and straws. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment